GliderVet Newsletter  |  Sugar Glider Vet Newsletters 2007

GliderVet # 64: My Glider Escaped, Will He Come Back?; SunCoast Expands Color Program; Eye Infections

This Month in the GliderVet Newsletter
==========================

Greetings Glider Groupies, Glider Newbies and Glider Wanna-bes!

Welcome to the June edition of the GliderVet News. Have you ever had the experience of one (or more) of your clever little pals pulling off a jail break? What’s the second thing you want to do (after you close all toilet lids)? Read on because odds are in your favor that you will re-unite with your little one. We also want to share with you the news of our expanding color program and for those of you into breeding the more exotic colors, here’s a chance to get on our waiting list for some incredibly special anticipated future births!

We’ll wrap up this month with a look at eye infections. Our big-eyed fuzzbutts can get eye irritations rather easily. We will share with you our experience as to what may increase this likelihood as well as some preliminary steps you can take for a quick home remedy.

We have been getting requests to offer more pay options in Arnold’s little shop. Soooo, we’ve listened to your needs and effective immediately, we are now proud to say that we’ve now added Discover Card and American Express to our list of choices. Now when you go to Arnold’s store, the drop down list for payment choices will be Discover, MasterCard, Visa, and American Express. We also continue to offer Check or Money Order payment options.

While we're on the subject of payment types, if you choose check payment, please understand that product will not be shipped until we actually receive your check and the check has cleared our bank. Money order payments ship same day we receive the money order. If you need your stuff fast, then use a debit or credit card. You don’t need to tell the computer if it’s debit or credit because Arnold treats them all the same … less hassle that way, right?

Before we glide in, we would like to ask the community outside of the United States if you have any good recommendations for sugar glider breeders. You see, we often get asked by folks primarily from Canada, Europe and South Africa if we know anybody we can recommend. Since we don’t export our own sugar gliders, we have no real opportunity to meet other breeders around the globe. I know you’re out there, so please let us know how to contact you. We will be happy to send inquiries your way; that is as long as you promise to provide excellent customer service and proper education on the care of sugar gliders.

Please remember that this newsletter is intended to express the wishes of the whole sugar glider community. Every article published in this newsletter is a result of someone just like you taking the time to write us with thoughts, ideas, stories and questions. Send your comments to us here.

If you ever want to find earlier issues of GliderVet News, you can access our archives here. Fun pics of sugar gliders sent in by our customers are found here. If you are looking for sugar glider tested and approved products, check out our ever expanding store here.

Are you new to sugar gliders or just in the early stages of trying to decide if one is right for you? Questions you can ask yourself to help make this very important and long term decision are here. A very confusing area for those considering glider ownership (and for some current owners too!) is diet. See what our vet has to say here. And if you decide that a sugar glider (or two!) would become future members of your household, then you might want to check out Arnold's great deals on starter kits, with or without cages.
My Glider Escaped! What Can I Do? ===========================
By Arnold

Hey Arnold,

I have a problem and was hoping that you could give me some advice. I went to go feed my gliders tonight and realized that one of them is missing. I believe my male escaped last night and is in the house somewhere. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get him to come back to the cage? Do they usually come back or do they keep running? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Mindy
------------------
Dear Mindy,

I didn’t hear back from you to find out if your little guy has come home yet. We get letters like this almost weekly and what me can tell ya is that gliders usually return to the scene of the crime. I’ve pulled off several jail breaks meself, but I always just go crawl in bed with Lisa. Not that I can say the same thing for me gal pal Naomi. She’s been discovered in all parts of the house, and last time (EEEKS!) she was in the bathroom. Glad to report she was safe from that close call, but that leads me to me first bit of advice. When ya find one of us missin', close all toilet lids immediately. It’s not the way ya wanna find us, nor the way we wanna be found!

Now me and my pals have made our escapes the old fashioned way. Lisa forgot to close the door, so we took that as permission to roam the home. Lots of peeples make this mistake from time to time, but if we got out and the doors were closed, ya best find out how we did it. Cuz, if we did it once, we’re gonna keep on doin’ it. Ya might have a problem with cage security. Make sure the bars are only ? inch apart and that pull out grills are not slightly pulled out. If you have flaps covering the grills, make sure they are secure (magnets can help with this issue).

If ya make this discovery at night, you have a good chance of tracking us down at a reasonable time and getting a good night’s sleep. If ya make this discovery in the morning, I will admit you will have a long day ahead, cuz ya see, we’re gonna find a little cozy space to hunker down and sleep during the day. So yer best chances of finding us again will be later, when the sun goes down.

Now please allow me to give ya a list of things to do in the meantime, but first let me assure you that most of these situations turn out well and we hope that holds true for you too.

OK, number one … like already said, close all toilet lids.

Next, take out a nest box or sleeping pouch (a smelly one) from the habitat and put it outside the cage with a big piece of juicy apple in it. Most of us will return to our home, cuz we are terry-torial, which means we like to come home.

Do not do any laundry, unless yer sure we haven’t found a place in the laundry basket to snooze.

Check closets and clothes and other stuff. Fer example, check pockets in coats, empty pocketbooks and inside shoes. We can get pretty creative about a place to sleep and 'cuz yer closet smells like you, it may be where many of me pals choose to hunker down.

OK, so now let’s say you’ve gone through a whole day without success. With night coming, you know what happens next? We wake up which means we’ll be hunting around fer something to eat or drink. BUT, if you have too much light on in the house, we’re gonna stay hiding. So keep the lights very low, or better yet, keep the lights off. Sit quietly in each room for 10-15 minutes. Start in the room where we’re supposed to live. If ya hear a sound, use a flashlight to look around for the escapee.

Yer best chances of finding us are in the first 24 hours. But even if you have no luck that first night, keep the pouch outside of the cage for several days. We’ve heard many reports of miracle returns when all hope was lost, so don’t give up too fast. In 9 out of 10 cases we hear about, a happy ending is often reported.

Now, what do you do if ya glider escapes outside of the house? Again, most of us will return to the scene of the crime. But if outside, ya have a much larger area to deal with, so put out several sleeping pouches or nest boxes with apple. Put them on tables or chairs or whatever ya have that you can use to put the stuff off the ground (otherwise ya might get a pouchful of bugs). Some people have even put the cage outside with the companion glider to help woo the wayward one back home.

Again, don’t give up too soon. Reports we get are at least 5 out of 10 will return home from the great outdoors.

Mindy, I hope yer baby has come home by now, but if not, thanks fer giving me the chance to talk about some really important stuff. It’s not like we’re running away. We just get curious sometimes and want to see what’s happenin' around us.

Love, Arnold
SunCoast Expands Color Program
=========================== By Lisa

As you know, SunCoast Sugar Gliders has been breeding sugar babies for many, many years and for a long time, I’ve resisted the temptation to get into breeding color sugar gliders. My main reason is because I think the way Mother Nature painted them originally is pretty darn cute. Let’s face it, gray with black racing stripes, a white belly and pink nose is quite irresistible for most of us.

I started our color breeding program with one white faced male. We’ve grown quite a bit since then. We now have seven colonies of color gliders. What I’m particularly excited about is that three of our females are related to the creamino line of gliders and we have a 100% het to creamino male from a completely different bloodline. We are hoping to have creamino babies soon and white face blondes are available every couple of months.

Many of our white face gliders are multi generational and because several of the generations are with me, quite a few have some relationship to the creamino line of sugar gliders.

If you are interested in getting on a waiting list for any of these rare and special breeds, just shoot me an email:

Sorry, no longer available.

I used to be a bit shy about discussing color in the past, but this whole realm of glider keeping is growing in popularity all the time. As it’s my commitment to keep up with trends in the glider community, I felt it only natural to get more involved in this area.

We do not practice any line breeding or inbreeding in order to try and force nature into producing certain color variations. All of our breeding is done on a selective basis. We’ve also made contact with other color breeders in the country to make cross referrals so that folks interested in venturing in this direction can have access to non-related color gliders to start their own breeding programs.
So drop me a line if you are interested and we can go from there!
How to Deal with Eye Infections
=========================== By Lisa

We often discuss health issues in this publication and the bottom line to most questions is “take your glider to a vet”. We are strong advocates of seeking appropriate medical attention when signs of illness or other medical conditions present. Today, we’re going to break this tradition a little bit and offer a home remedy suggestion for eye irritations.

It is not unusual, particularly with our babies to see mild eye irritations. If you know what colonies look like when they are sleeping, its hard to say where one animal starts and another leaves off. Colonies of sleeping gliders look like a bundle of fur, feet, tails and heads. They get quite cozy to say the least.

Because of this, gliders can get little scratches on their eyes (probably from another’s foot brushing the eye) which can create a situation where the eye does not open fully, and you may even see a bit of white discharge.

You have a good chance of clearing this up within the first 24 hours. If the condition persists, there is excessive discharge, or an obvious wound on or near the eye, please see a vet immediately (there I go again). This remedy should only be used in mild cases.

The remedy is simple. Go to the drugstore and buy some liquid tears. There are many brands and that doesn’t really matter. The brands may be called liquid tears, natural tears or something along that line. Do not use products like Visine. I tend to use sterile and preservative free products as that is what I use for myself. Put a couple of drops of the solution into the gliders eye 2-3 times that day. Follow-up with a warm compress for several minutes. In most cases, the eye will be fully open and clear the next day. If that is the case, then you’ve successfully treated with the first home remedy ever suggested in this publication.

If the eye is still irritated, well you already know what I’m going to say. And make that call to the vet sooner than later. Gliders can lose vision in their eyes if appropriate treatment is not started quickly. Veterinarians have access to a variety of ophthalmic ointments and will prescribe based upon the diagnosis.

If you choose to try the home remedy the first day, please be sure to wash your hands very well both before and after treatment. A white discharge may indicate some infection present, and you don’t want to spread that around to other pets or yourself.

'Til next time, in good health for you and your gliders, we sign off in appreciation of all of you who share great glider adventures with us!

----->=< ---->=< ---->=< ---->=<
GliderVet Newsletter
Your resource for safety first, expert
advice on our sugar glider friends!
>=<---- >=<---- >=<---- >=<----

That's it for this month's GliderVet Newsletter. I hope you liked what we had to offer! If you have any stories, questions, pictures, suggestions for topics - anything glider - you would like to share or see covered in the GliderVet newsletter, please send them here.

If you liked the newsletter and know someone who might benefit from reading it, why don't you forward this one to them right now while you are thinking of it? Instructions for subscribing and unsubscribing are:

To Subscribe, use the form below or click here and send the blank e-mail. To Unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail from the e-mail address you want to take off the list to here.

General GliderVet Newsletter Info can be found here.

Viva La Glider! Arnold

Lisa
SunCoast Sugar Gliders

================================
GliderVet is a publication of SunCoast Sugar Gliders
© CopyRight 2007 SunCoast Sugar Gliders

Current GliderVet Newsletter:

GliderVet Newsletter Archives:

2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001